On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> When I build mpl from master on python.org python 2.7, Mountain Lion,
> and try to plot anything with the macosx backend, I am now getting an
> Apple crash--the plot window flashes up and vanishes, and a big OS X
> crash report window pops up.  Ipython shows "Trace/BPT trap: 5".  I have
> never seen anything like this before.  Building from 1.3.0 works fine.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Master is also broken, at least on my machine, with other backends.  The
> suggested fix is https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2431.
>
> Eric

Building from master produces a broken build of matplotlib for me.
After the build finishes, I get this warning from the linker:

ld: warning: ignoring file /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib, file was
built for unsupported file format ( 0xcf 0xfa 0xed 0xfe 0x 7 0x 0 0x 0
0x 1 0x 3 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 0x 6 0x 0 0x 0 0x 0 ) which is not the
architecture being linked (i386): /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib

I don't know why it's compiling with -arch i386.  It's also compiling
with -arch x86_64.

When I install matplotlib, this is what happens from an ipython terminal:

In [1]: import matplotlib
In [2]: print matplotlib.__version__
1.4.x
In [3]: matplotlib.use('macosx')
In [4]: import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
In [5]: fig = plt.figure()
In [6]: ax = fig.add_subplot(1, 1, 1)
In [7]: ax.plot([1, 2, 3])
Out[7]: [<matplotlib.lines.Line2D at 0x107523250>]
In [8]: plt.show()
Trace/BPT trap: 5

git bisecting says that f4adec7b569cfd0b30e0f8367ba8618b9e160f92 is
the first bad commit, which you can see the diff of
here<https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/commit/f4adec7b569cfd0b30e0f8367ba8618b9e160f92>.
 That's a pretty big commit so it'll take a while to track down.

I'm kind of swamped with work right now (a colleague I work with
recently resigned) so I don't have as much time as I'd like to
dedicate to helping out.

Eric, I hope that helps a little bit.

Best wishes,
Damon