Fellow developers,

I am working on a PR to replace the use of matplotlib.delaunay with the
Qhull library.  Installation will be similar to the existing packages
LibAgg and CXX in that if the system already has a sufficiently recent
version of Qhull installed then matplotlib will use that, otherwise it will
build the required library from the source code shipped with matplotlib.

I have a thin C wrapper called qhull_wrap.c (following the coding
guidelines) which I'll put in the top-level src directory along with most
of the existing C/C++ extensions.  But my question is where to put the
qhull source code?

Current practice has separate top-level directories called agg24 and CXX
for the LibAgg and CXX packages respectively, so my initial thought was to
follow this and create a new top-level directory called qhull to place the
library code in.  But I don't like this approach of creating a new
top-level directory as (1) I think the top-level should remain as simple
and uncluttered as possible, (2) it tends to overemphasize the importance
of these third-party libraries as they are some of the first directories
users see when unzipping the mpl tarball, and (3) it is not immediately
obvious that the code in these directories is from third-party libraries
rather than something we ourselves have written.

Hence my preference is to create a new top-level directory called something
like 'third-party' (or should that be 'third_party'?), and place all the
third-party libraries in that; i.e. move the agg24 and CXX directories into
third-party, and place the new qhull source code in third-party/qhull.

What do others think of this idea?

Ian Thomas