buckeliger <buckeli...@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hey, thx for the reply. The OS is hardly the problem as with the same input
> files I can generate plots that work also in acroread.

Also, the file you linked to from the Stackoverflow question is just
72kB (and 84kB when uncompressed with pdftk) so it's definitely not
going over any multi-gigabyte limit.

I can confirm that Adobe Reader 8 on OS X fails to show anything when
opening the file, and also does not display any error messages.
Preview.app displays a reasonable-looking plot. I'm at a loss to explain
what is wrong about this file.

> The problem occurs only if the data is being processed; if I
> only read out the data and plot it, then there is no problem with Adobe
> viewers.

Since what gets plotted is not a huge amount of data, I wonder if you
could still make a minimal example by doing the computations but instead
of plotting the resulting data storing it somehow (in e.g. a pickle, or
a small hdf5 file). Then make a separate script that reads the stored
data and calls matplotlib functions, and if that can reproduce the
problem it would help us in debugging.

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks