If you have Cairo installed and the matplotlib Cairo backend you could try
to test the
pdfs generated with this backend to see if they suffer from the same issue.

i.e. add
```
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use("cairo")
```
to the top of your script.

Depending on where the bug is this may or may not give the same issue.

/Jens