@tacaswell I modified the wiki reflecting the changes and trying to
answer the questions.
Please let me know if I answered your questions/concerns. We can
iterate as muchs as needed on this, I have no problem modifying the
names or functionnality.

Sorry for the long email
Here a list of things that I changed

ToolBase
description = '': Small description of the tool

persistent = False: If True, the instance of the Tool is registered
with Navigation for reuse.
This is needed because some tools are keept alive in the background,
for example SubplotTool.

position = None: Where is it positionned in the toolbar?. -1 = at the
end, None = Not in the toolbar.
The default tools are all ordered by their position in the Navigation
_default_tools array. This argument is mainly used by User created
tools that are added after the Toolbar creation.
My idea was that for the user created tools, the user could set the
position without having to subclass the Navigation class.
So this information has to be included in the Tool.

activate(self, event): This is the main method of the Tool, it is
called when the Tool is triggered by:
  * Toolbar button click
  * keypress associated with the Tool Keymap
  * Call to navigation.click_tool(name)

ToolPersistentBase
unregister(self, *args): ... Because ToolBase is intened for single
use, there is no need of registration for the instances, persistent
tools, need to be registered so __init__ is called only onece during
the first trigger

NavigationBase
locks.... I tend to agree with you.
The idea that I had in mind, and maybe was more complex than expected.
Was to redirect the events to the tool without need to call the
mpl_connect within the tool. So I provided the methods to handle those
events directly.
This is also from the idea that if we implement the
MultiFigureManager, when there is a change on the 'active_figure'
Navigation knows about the change and changes the event handlers, in
this case the Tools don't need to do anything.
It was just to simplify the Tool creation eliminating the need for
basic event connection in case of figure changes.

Even if we remove the locks we need two locks:
canvaslock (for the input)
keypress lock, to give the tool the option to absorb the keypress
completely. (Tool for anotations comes to mind)

I didn't remove the comment for the locks, because I am not sure what
is the best option.

ToolbarBase
I tried to clarify the use of the methods. Most of the methods that
you mentionned, are for internal use only but are mandatory for
backend implementation.
Also I updated the wiki with the "_" that was missing from the private methods.