I have been having problems with postscript output from MPL on my
various Macs that is just beyond the problem discussed in the tread
here.  But this seemed like the best place to bring it up.  The basic
problem is that Adobe products like Illustrator can't read MPL .eps
output.

When I 'Open' the file, OS X uses ghostscript to convert the EPS to
PDF, and this displays fine.  I can use Preview to save this file,
and it looks alright, however, none of the Adobe products can read
the PDF either.  Usually the file will open, but the fonts are all
screwed up.

When I use pstopdf from teTeX (but *not* epstopdf -- that doesn't
work for some strange reason), then I can open my new PDF file in
illustrator.

I think that opening an EPS in Illustrator is the ultimate test of
EPS format compliance, as those are the folks who made it.  What can
we do to make MPL output universally readable postscript?

-Rob

p.s.  One I finally do get it into Illustrator, it becomes clear that
MPL makes very nice, efficient, easily editable files...  unlike
MATLAB.  For me this is yet another big reason to switch to python/
numpy/mpl.

----
Rob Hetland, Associate Professor
Dept. of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
http://pong.tamu.edu/~rob
phone: 979-458-0096, fax: 979-845-6331