I have a figure with two subplots as below.  However, everything breaks
when I try to rotate the x-labels as indicated in the two commented out
lines.  I obtain a small empty plot embedded in a large empty plot with no
x-labels and no legend either.  I got this code from the tutorial; it
works perfectly fine for the same data/commands if only using a single
main plot.

pylab.subplot(211)
pylab.plot(historicalScore, label='blah')
pylab.setp(pylab.gca(), xticklabels=[])
pylab.ylabel('blah')
pylab.title('Historical Statistics')
pylab.legend(loc='upper left')

pylab.subplot(212)
pylab.plot(numBlah, label='#')
pylab.plot(historicalNum, label='blah')
pylab.xticks(dates)
#xlabels = pylab.axes().get_xticklabels()
#pylab.setp(xlabels, 'rotation', 90)
pylab.xlabel('blah')
pylab.ylabel('blah')
pylab.legend(loc='upper left')