Ooop, sorry I corrupted the pylab.xticks() line in the second part when
editing.  Should read:

pylab.subplot(211)
pylab.plot(historicalScore05, label='Score 2005')
pylab.plot(historialNum05, label='Num 2006')
pylab.setp(pylab.gca(), xticklabels=[])
pylab.ylabel('Score 2')
pylab.title('Historical Statistics')
pylab.legend(loc='upper left')

pylab.subplot(212)
pylab.plot(historicalScore06, label='Score 06')
pylab.plot(historicalNum06, label='Num 06')
pylab.xticks(pylab.arange(numDatapoints),xLabels)
#xlabels = pylab.axes().get_xticklabels()
#pylab.setp(xlabels, 'rotation', 90)
pylab.xlabel('Player')
pylab.ylabel('Score 1')
pylab.legend(loc='upper left')

Using:
numpy-1.0
matplotlib-0.87.7

The result is a small empty plot (plot frame only: no labels, ticks, data,
legend) within an empty plot of subplot 212 (no data, no legend, but yes
for ticks and axis titles).

Thanks,
Suresh