> Hi, Pierre. There's a lot of assumptions here.
Indeed, and I apologize

> I sort of know what numarray, Numeric and numpy are, but I don't care
> all that much. I'm just interested in matplotlib for the plotting.
Well, matplotlib relies on some packages to handle data arrays. It's probably
a good idea to check what you have below the hood, just in case something
goes wrong. It'll make things easier to help you.

> The point of my email (and the questions below) is that the entire
> scipy.org website is written for people who already know what's going
> on. If you want to expand the user community (and simultaneously cut
> down on questions) you need to make things dramatically more
> understandable than they currently are.

That's true, and I guess that's the reason why there's a wiki. Please feel
free to add your comments and suggestions.

> A related problem is the MoinMoin wiki. It is not a widely used wiki
> and it has many usability problems. It is dramatically harder to use
> than, say, mediawiki.

But it happens to be the solution that has been chosen.