Eric -

I found another problem that I cannot figure out.
I make an axis, and make it 'scaled'.
Then I make a second axis that shares the x-axis with the first axis.
But then the y limits of the first axis change upon creation, and the
'adjustable' attribute!
I know for sure this used to work, but am not sure when it got changed.
What it used to do is that you could zoom nicely into the first axis
(interactively), while the size of the shared axis changed with it. A thing
of beauty I thought, and I loved showing it off. Do you think we can get
that back?

Here's a small example of the error:

from pylab import *
ax = axes([.1,.5,.8,.4])
plot([1,2,3])
[<matplotlib.lines.Line2D instance at 0x01C38800>]
axis('scaled')
(0.0, 2.0, 1.0, 3.0)
ax.get_adjustable()
'box'