Thanks for the help Ken.  I think I got it.  The source install of
libwkgtk2.6 doesn't seem to be enough (I still get the message about
accelerator needing the headers).

I have downloaded the 2.6 source tarball (thanks for finding it).  I
copied *.h from the wxPython-src-2.6.3.3/wxPython/include/wx/wxPython
directory of the tarball to /usr/include/wx/wxPython.  The message
went away.  I think that was all I needed to do.

Ryan