On 3/30/07, Mark Bakker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I always thought ipython didn't come with a good editor.
> Am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken, and this is by design: ipython is not an IDE,
it's the interactive component of a python workflow.

As others have mentioned (thanks to all, btw), it has limited support
for specifying your editor and a special command called %edit.  Many
people find this very useful, which is why I added it.  Personally I
don't use that at all.  My workflow consists of an open Emacs session
(with multiple frames, typically) and a terminal with ipython in it.
I do the heavy-duty editing in Emacs (replace with vi, IDLE, Komodo or
any other editor of your preference), save, and then run the code in
the terminal via

run filename

Since ipython has history that backtracks on what you've typed so far,
this normally just requires typing 'r' and then 'up-arrow' once.  I
personally don't find it any more cumbersome than hitting some F-key
in an IDE, and I get the power of Emacs with the comfort of a good
terminal (Konsole in my case).

Others have mentioned how ipython can also be used *inside* emacs,
which can be very handy for complex debugging.  It's not my daily
environment because I prefer Konsole to the emacs terminal, but it is
certainly a good way to work for many.

IPython comes from the Unix tradition of 'do one thing well and let
users work whichever way they want' rather than the windows approach
of 'provide a single, fully integrated mega-app'.  So it is easy to
use ipython with your personal combination of editor and terminal
emulator, but it does NOT provide the kind of IDE feel many expect
these days.  Whether this particular balance is a feature or a
drawback is largely dependent on personal preference, I think.

We are currently refactoring ipython in a way that will make it very
easy to embed all of its functionality into the terminal component of
an IDE.  So hopefully in the future, this discussion won't have to
happen: I'll be able to use ipython the way I do today, but it will
become possible for IDE authors to incorporate it in their own
environments.

Until then, it's worth understanding the pros and cons of using
ipython so you can decide whether you find its approach comfortable
for your style.

Regards,