Giorgio Luciano ha scritto:

I'm aware that python/scipy were not started as a clone matlab (well matlibplot was started as something similar ;)

Yes, matplotlib AFAIK wanted (and probably wants) to be something similar, and it's bad, because mpl is too good in itself to be forced to be just a matlab ripoff! :)

and also that they should be taught as an language (and that's why I prefer to use it an not to shol very useful programs like OCTAVE od Scilab.. it's better for students to hava a curriculum with a true programming language than with a metalanguage).

That's really good and I fully agree.

I have to admit also that if someone there sooner or later would create a workspace similar to matlab (with paste and copy, and more interactive feature without tweaking too much) a lot more people would be glade to replace their matlab with scipy/matplotlib.

A pythonic interacting environment IMHO should be a nice application in itself to write. It should have its own shell instead of relying on ipython (that is, it should not be a python shell, or a python shell *really* on steroids). I'd like to hear the pylab guys to know what they think.

m.

--
Massimo Sandal
University of Bologna

snail mail:
Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy

email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

tel: +39-051-2094388
fax: +39-051-2094387
begin:vcard
fn:Massimo Sandal
n:Sandal;Massimo
org:University of Bologna;Department of Biochemistry
adr:;;Via Irnerio 48;Bologna;;40126;Italy
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:+39-051-2094388
tel;fax:+39-051-2094387
x-mozilla-html:FALSE