Hi Nadia,

Actually, I have successfully install matplotlib by
being patient.
I used
CC=CC python setup.py build
first and when it stops for the compilation of a .c
file, I switch to
CC=cc python setup.py build
and let it run and switches again when it stops.
Probably changing the
Makefile as you say is a better way.

Now I have an import error though. I definitely have
numpy installed and
numpy.test() show all tests passed.

>>> import matplotlib
>>> import pylab

The import of the numpy version of the _transforms
module,
_ns_transforms, failed. This is is either because
numpy was
unavailable when matplotlib was compiled, because a
dependency of
_ns_transforms could not be satisfied, or because the
build flag for
this module was turned off in setup.py. If it appears
that
_ns_transforms was not built, make sure you have a
working copy of
numpy and then re-install matplotlib. Otherwise, the
following
traceback gives more details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File
"/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py",
line 203, in <module>
from axes import Axes, PolarAxes
File
"/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/axes.py",
line 14, in <module>
import artist
File
"/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/artist.py",
line 4, in <module>
from transforms import identity_transform
File
"/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/transforms.py",
line 223, in <module>
from _transforms import Value, Point, Interval, Bbox,
Affine
File
"/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/_transforms.py",
line 17, in <module>
from matplotlib._ns_transforms import *
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error:
file
/home/yfan/usr/local/share/ASpy25/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/_ns_transforms.so:
symbol __1cDstdMdomain_error2T6M_v_: referenced symbol
not found

Nadia Dencheva wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I've seen that and the only way I can make Python
pick up the right
> compiler/linker is to modify
python<version#>/config/Makefile,
> specifically
> the fields for CC and CXX
>
> CC = gcc
> CXX = g
>
> but also on some occasions comment out pic32
>
> CCSHARED= #-xcode=pic32
>
> It is possible that the compilation of ctraits.c
will fail because it
> doesn't compile with g   and needs gcc in which case
you can run the
> command
> manually with gcc and continue building the rest of
the package.

> These are all the gory details of compiling
matplotlib on Solaris.
> It's possible but it's a pain, I wish someone has a
better solution
> for this. (May be Sun/Solaris will disappear before
that.)