I have finally successfully installed Matplotlib on
solaris. Let me put
my steps here for reference.

# set environmental variables
CFLAG="-I/development/SUNWspro/include"
LDFLAG="-L/development/SUNWspro/include -lCstd"
# my CC and cc are in the directory
/development/SUNWspro/bin.
#"-lCtd" is needed, otherwise libstdc  .so would be
used instead of
libCstd.so and you would get symbol relocation errors
on importing pylab.

# as the building use the $CC for compiling .c, .cxx,
.cpp file, we have
to change $CC in the building
CC=CC python setup.py build
CC=cc python setup.py build
CC=CC python setup.py build
CC=cc python setup.py build
CC=CC python setup.py build
CC=cc python setup.py build

# finally we are ready to install
python setup.py install

I hope it helps others who want to install Matplotlib
on solaris. It
took me a long time to figure out what was causing the
"no imput file
found" error and the "symbol relocation error".

Daniel