> All I want is to: a) Insert all of the plots I create with  MPL onto a Word
> document.

If you're fortunate enough to be using the wx backend, there is a
Copy_to_Clipboard() method which works great: In a wx App, Ctrl-C can
easily be bound to copy the figure to the clipboard,  then paste it
into apps such as Word.    I tend to find better results from saving a
higher-resolution PNG and inserting that into documents, but this
copy-and-paste works great for quick prints (whereas printing directly
from a wxApp seems to be very fragile and change with every wxPython
release)

I think pylab may not give you access to the Copy_to_Clipboard() method.

--Matt Newville