On Wednesday 23 May 2007 11:17:14 am Trevis Crane wrote:
> I have two questions about matplotlib.
>
> 1)  It's pretty easy to include text on a graph, but are LaTex strings
> supported?  That is, I want to write something like this on my plot:
> '\Phi_0 = blah...'.  When passing a LaTex command as part of text string
> to be written on a plot in MatLab, it interprets this and displays the
> (in this case) Greek symbol.  Any suggestions on how this is or should
> be done with matplotlib?

matplotlib supports mathtext strings, like  r'$\Phi_0 = e^{i\pi}$'. Currently,
if you want to mix mathmode and regular mode, r'for example: $\Phi_0 =
e^{i\pi}$', you need to enable usetex in your matplotlibrc file. usetex
requires latex, ghostscript, dvipng to be properly installed, see
http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/UsingTex for more details.

> 2) How do I format how tick mark labels are displayed?  I have a plot
> whose x-axis runs from 0 to 8.5e-5.  But the tick mark labels are
> 0,0.00001,0.00002,0.00003...  This is rather unsightly, but I haven't
> found a way to specify the format of these numbers.

That's a new problem. Eric, it looks like some of your recent changes to
ticker.py had some unintended side-effects. Do you have time to look into it?

Darren