Matthew Auger wrote:
> I've recently needed to use matplotlib remotely from a 'server' running OS
> X. The server does not have GTK on it, and the server's version of Tk is
> bound to Aqua instead of X11 and I therefore can't remotely spawn a
> matplotlib GUI window.
>
> My question: Does anyone know of an *easy* way to get a backend running
> that will allow me to push windows through ssh X11 forwarding? I don't
> have administrative access on the server, so I'm trying to find the
> simplest solution possible for the administrator to implement--presumably
> this rules out GTK....
>
> Thanks!
> Matt
>
> -

Matt: Depends on your definition of 'easy' ...

The fink matplotlib package uses GTKAgg as the default backend, and
works fine over an ssh tunnel.  The admin will have to:

0) make sure X11.app (and the X11 SDK) is installed.
1) install fink
2) run 'fink selfupdate'
3) run 'fink install matplotlib-py25' (and wait a few hours for
everything to compile).

HTH,

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449