Anthony,

When I do a quick test of line_collection.py versus a modification that
makes individual plot calls, with the results written to a png file, I
get about 1.05 s with the collection and 1.2 s with the lines.  But a
trivial plot still takes 0.52 seconds, so if you subtract out this
general startup overhead the improvement with the line collection is
about 30%.

It probably comes down to program simplicity and readability, not speed,
in your case.

Eric