>    Ah, now I see the syntax for using axes(). However, if I'm embedding the
> plots in a wxPython panel, I'm not using pylab. In this environment I also
> haven't yet figured out how to add axis labels or specify the range of each
> axis. Within pylab on stand-alone test apps it works fine.

Check the class library documentation for the axes() object.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.axes.html

I've also been known to use epydoc to generate my own local version of
the class library (since the sourceforge site is ... tempermental at
best).

To enable gridlines, try something like:

axes.xaxis.grid(b=True,which='major')

and variations with xaxis/yaxis and major/minor.

To add labels, try something like:

axes.set_ylabel(string, fontproperties)

To set ranges, try something like:

axes.set_xlim(range).

Your best bet is really to explore the object set in the class reference docs.