Stephen,

The CocoaAgg backend is not supported in IPython. You can use it in
the non-interactive form (i.e. with a pylab.show() but you will have
to close the window in order to return control to the IPython shell).
It is possible to embed an MPL plot in a Cocoa application using the
same trick as the CocoaAgg backend (rendering the plot using the Agg
backend and then turning the rasterized bitmap into and
NSBitmapImageRep and then displaying it in an NSImageView). I've
posted previously about a py2app plugin which does just that and has
an IB palette, but I haven't had time to update the IB palette to use
the IB 3 plugin API yet. It uses Cocoa Bindings to provide data to the
plot. I'm happy to send it to you as is, or you can wait until it's IB
3 ready.

We (at my work) are just starting to think about writing a more direct
Quartz backend for mpl. A native backend would let a matplotlib view
participate in newer Cocoa technologies, such as resolution
independence and CoreAnimation (it's possible with the current backend
method, but not quite as flexible). This will make embedding easier,
but will not solve the IPython issues. For now, one of the other
backends, such as WXAgg or TkAgg is probably the better bet on OS X.

barry