I'm a total beginner to matplotlib so please forgive me if this is
standard stuff. I've read through the user guide, tutorial, searched
all over the place but couldn't figure it out on my own.

Normally, matplotlib puts the graph in a box, left y axis, bottom x
axis, right y axis, top x axis. What I'd like to do is remove both y
axis and the top x axis and only keep the bottom x axis. How do I do
that?

I also would like to save the plot in PNG format which works great.
However, the PNG image is not only the graph but also some space
around it in all 4 directions. How do I force matplotlib to write only
the box that contains the graph to the file and no padding around it?

Cheers,
Daniel