Hi everybody,

About two weeks ago I was asking on this mailing list if matplotlib can make
hexagonal binning plots as an alternative to scatter plots. I have now written
such a function for matplotlib. In case other people are also looking for this
functionality, the patch is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1952339&group_id=80706&atid=560722

As an example of this function, the two figures below show a traditional
scatter plot, and a hexagonal binning plot using the same data:

Traditional scatter plot:
  http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/scatter.png

 Hexagonal binning plot, using the same data:
  http://bonsai.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~mdehoon/hexbin.png

Best,

--Michiel.

Hi everybody,

  Is there a function in matplotlib for hexagonal binning of scatter plots?
Here are some examples of what I am looking for:

   http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/greyhexbin.png

  http://www.spss.com/research/wilkinson/nViZn/hexbin.gif

  http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/75x75/tn_139.png

  Thanks!