Michiel,

That looks very nice.  I committed it to the trunk as svn 5084.  Thank you!

Please provide a simple demo script suitable for inclusion in the
examples subdirectory, and I will commit that also.  I think it would be
nice to have two subplots, one with a linear color scale, the other with
a log scale, and with a colorbar for each.  (There might be some
wrinkles with colorbar for a log scale--I don't recall.)

Eric