Hi Matthieu,

I'm not sure if somebody else already answered to your question and I don't
know the best way to achieve what you need, but I suggest the following
work-around:

scatter(x, x**2.4, marker='s', color='r', s=25, label="_")
# with no label

plot([0], [0], ls='', marker='s', color='r', ms=5, mew=0, label="my label")
# plot somewhere outside the shown axis with the preferred label

legend()

Best regards
Matthias