For what it's worth, the WX backend isn't working for me with wxPython
2.8.4; I get the following when I attempt to show a figure:

  File "C:\Program
Files\Python25\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-0.98.0_r5467-py2.5-win32.egg\mat
plotlib\backends\backend_wx.py", line 474, in select
    self.SelectObject(self.bitmap)
AttributeError: GraphicsContextWx instance has no attribute 'SelectObject'

I'm at wxPython 2.8.4 simply because it is included with the Enthought
Python Distribution that I picked for getting started with Python.

However, I don't normally use the WX backend.  I've been using WXAgg, so WX
is relevant for me only for the functionality inherited by WXAgg.

Stan