Matplot folks,
Is there a way to increase all font sizes globally across the board?
I played around with some RC parameters but they don't seem to have
any effect.

I found that I could more or less achieve the desired result by the
following steps:
1) plot to something like subplot(6,6,1).  That is, make a 6x6 plot
grid but only use the upper left subplot of it.
With that the text is large relative to the plot, but spacing is not good, so...
2) Make plot window really large so text isn't overlapping so much
3) Save result to svg
4) in Inkscape or other svg editor cut out the big unused region, and
fix badly positioned labels (e.g. text too far left in legend box).

That basically worked, but it's quite hacky.

I think it's pretty obvious why this would be useful, but if not, my
particular use case is that I want to make some graphs that will be
very small in the final document, so the text needs to be at about 9pt
in an overall bounding box of approx. 3cm x 2cm.

This question was asked once before in 2006 but apparently got no answer:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=1137144577.12809.4.camel%40inpc93.et.tudelft.nl

Thanks for any hints!
--bb