It's certainly not exposed as an option to the user, and I don't think
there's an easy way to hack this in.  We can tell freetype to give us
1-bit monochrome bitmaps, but matplotlib currently expects 8-bit
greyscale, so things don't really work.  It's doable, but it requires
some non-trivial code changes, and this isn't an oft-requested feature.

One thing you could try is generating a PDF and then converting that
using a tool that has a no-antialiasing option.  It should produce a
better result since it's working from the glyph outlines.

There may also be a way to force this in the Cairo backend (which uses
Cairo for the text rendering).  But I don't know much about Cairo...

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom