Hi David,

On Thursday 10 July 2008 11:15:37 am David M. Kaplan wrote:
> 2) I have noticed that the font used for the xticklabels and the font
> used for the xlabel and contour labels appears to be different (example
> attached).  One appears to be serif and the other sans-serif.  This
> seems to be due to using tex for text rendering.  I am not sure if this
> also occurred before the update, but I didn't notice it previously.

It has always been this way. We tried a workaround once a couple years back
and it turned into a real mess.

> Looking at the properties of the different text objects, it isn't
> apparent that there should be a difference - both have font properties
> that indicate sans-serif, but the text of tick labels appears to be
> surrounded by $'s forcing it through the text parser, while that of the
> contour labels is not.  Is this difference normal or expected?  Is there
> a way around this?  In particular, I would like to use sans-serif for
> everything - is this possible while still using tex?

I think there is a package, sansmath or something like that, that will allow
latex to use sans-serif fonts in math mode. You could try adding it to the
text.latex.preamble rc setting, but that option is not officially supported.

If you don't like the limitations of latex, you might want to turning off
usetex and just use matplotlibs mathtext, which recently got a significant
rewrite and is now quite capable thanks to Mike Droettboom. Here's some
documentation too:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/doc/html/users/mathtext.html

Darren