Hi,

I guess the problem was mostly mine.  To my eyes, the Bitstream Vera
Serif doesn't look very "serif" to me (figure attached), but I am
probably just not used to that font.  Changing font.serif as suggested
produced much more similar output.  Thanks and sorry for the unnecessary
confusion.

However, this brought me to another strange problem.  When I added a
matplotlibrc file to ~/.matplotlib/ and ran ipython -pylab, none of my
graphic screens appear (i.e., figure() produces no visible window).
Plotting works and I can save figures, but they just are not visible.
It makes no difference what is in the matplotlibrc, an empty file
produces the same result as a file with directives in it.  Removing
matplotlibrc allows me to see the plot window.  Does this make any
sense?

Just in case it matters, I am currently using the svn trunk of
matplotlib.

Cheers,
David

--