Hi, again

I've trying to install everything, from the begining on another machine,
this one's running openSUSE 10.3. So I've installed the latest versions
of numpy, scipy and matplotlib and I've discovered something new which
also happens in the first machine, the one with openSUSE 10.2. The first
time I imported pylab this is what I got:

---------------------------------
 >>> from pylab import *
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:69: GtkWarning:
could not open display
   warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py:40:
GtkWarning: gdk_cursor_new_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY
(display)' failed
   cursors.MOVE          : gdk.Cursor(gdk.FLEUR),
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in
<module>
     from matplotlib.pylab import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py",
line 247, in <module>
     from matplotlib.pyplot import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
line 39, in <module>
     new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, show = pylab_setup()
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py",
line 20, in pylab_setup
     globals(),locals(),[backend_name])
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtkagg.py",
line 10, in <module>
     from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtk import gtk, FigureManagerGTK,
FigureCanvasGTK,\
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py",
line 40, in <module>
     cursors.MOVE          : gdk.Cursor(gdk.FLEUR),
RuntimeError: could not create GdkCursor object
---------------------------------

So googling a bit, I've found that to avoid this error an option would
be to add, before the pylab import, the following:

 >>> import matplotlib
 >>> matplotlib.use('Agg')

This way the results floating problem disappears and I've got the
correct tuples, though now I can't make my script show the figure I'm
trying to plot. Is this related with matplotlibrc configuration? I
haven't modified this file and the only lines that are not commented are

backend      : GTKAgg
numerix      : numpy  # numpy, Numeric or numarray

Running my script with and without these lines with --verbose-debug,
I've found that when they're written I get: backend agg version v2.2
and when they are not: backend GTKAgg version 2.10.6

I've also checked the packages installed but all the requirements seem
to be OK.

Hope, this helps.

AR