>> If you cannot open the display, most likely it is because either you
>> are running as root (bad, bad) or you are running over a remot
>> connection (ssh) and do not have X11 forwarding properly enabled or
>> configures.  If you want to use mpl with an interactive window, you
>> will need to have access to the display.  The fact that you see this
>> error only on the first time you import pylab is typical of exceptions
>> that are thrown at module import time -- python only tries to import
>> once so you see the exception only once.  To solve this, trying
>> running as a normal user rather than root or sudo, and if you are on a
>> remote machine, try using ssh -X to enable X11 forwarding.  We will
>> need to know more about exactly what you are doing to help.
>
> For remote access you also need to allow the remote machine to access
> the display via "xhost +name" on the local machine.

Well, I can assure you that I am neither working as root, I might be a
newbie to matplotlib but not to linux, nor have any problem with the
display. This problem is happening in both machines, remote (ssh -X, for
sure, I've tested several times) and local, so no ssh conection. Anyway,
I'm going to test a few more things and will let you know what happens.

AR