On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM, James Schombert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm switching from an old graphics package (PGPLOT) to matplotlib, and I
> prefer to use the graphics window to input commands (such as, a new
> file name) by typing at the bottom of the frame
>
> so if the file name, for example, has a 'g' or 'l' in its name, the
> window redraws a grid or log
>
> it would be nice to have some sort of disable option, or a freeze method
> until I have finished inputing the text
>
> currently my work around is to test for a 'g' or 'l' and ax.grid(False) plus
> a forced redraw, but this is not elegant and breaks the flow of my analysis
> routines

This will not be particularly hard to conditionally turn off -- the
question is what is the best mechanism?  The main choices are:

 * rc param - global for all figures

 * figure param - specific to a given figure; interface would be
something like:

     fig.auto_toolbar_keys(False)

 * axes param: specific for a given axes in figure; interface would
be something like

   ax.auto_toolbar_keys(False)

Any preferences, thoughts?  I think the ability to turn this off is
pretty important for application developers and others.  I guess
another option would be to support an rc param like

  figure.toolbar_keys :  l, g, f, a

which is a sequence of keys that will generate the default behavior
(log, grid, fullscreen, set_navigate on all).  The user could set just
the elements of the list that they want to have the default action for
(or None)

JDH