On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 03:00:05PM -0400, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> With the file you sent, I can see the messed up footer in xpdf, but not
> in acroread.  There are a number of times that I have seen xpdf not
> completely support the PDF spec, and this may be one of them.

I installed acroread and I was also able to view everything fine with it
whereas xpdf and evince showed the bug.

> Creating my own files, however, I'm not able to reproduce this here.

Hmmm.  This would imply that your versions somehow do something that makes xpdf
happy.

> When I compile your test.tex, I get an error, even though it seems to
> have loaded the python.sty file.  Not sure why (see attached log).

Looks like it doesn't know what \begin{python} means.  Did you put python.sty
in the same directory as text.tex?

> When I generate the plots "offline", and then hack test.tex to simply
> include the files, everything works fine, and I don't see a problem with
> the footers with either xpdf or acroread.

I see the problem with xpdf when I simply include the plots which means that
python.sty was just a red herring.  python.sty isn't the problem.

> There was a recent bug discovered in matplotlib where PDF files weren't
> always getting flushed completely.  I don't *think* that's the cause of
> this, but if you could reproduce what I did (generate the plots
> independently of TeX and then load them), and that works for you, that
> might point to something like that.

xpdf still croaks for me.  Perhaps using the bleeding edge of matplotlib would
fix?  I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 which has python-matplotlib version
0.91.2-0ubuntu1.

> There was also a bug a few months back where xpdf didn't like the way
> matplotlib handled reusing the same graphic multiple times (which is
> used for markers).  That may be why you're seeing the footer bug and I'm
> not -- you didn't mention which version of matplotlib you're running, so
> it's hard to say.
>
> Here's my versions of all the various moving pieces:
>> pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b
>> kpathsea version 3.4.5
>> Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Han The Thanh.
> Beamer 3.00
> python 2.5.2
> matplotlib SVN (today)
> Acroread 8.1.1
> xpdf 3.00

Here is what I got:

Beamer 3.07-1
python 2.5.2
matplotlib  0.91.2-0ubuntu1
Acroread 8.1.2_SU1
xpdf 3.02-1.3ubuntu1

Ironically, all my stuff is newer than yours except for matplotlib.  Sounds
like bleeding edge of matplotlib must be tried next.

> That python.sty stuff looks really cool, by the way.  I haven't come
> across it before.

Glad I could help!

cs