On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:55 AM, John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Darren Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Stan West checked out my subprocess patch on windows with python-2.5,
> which
> > should take care of a bunch of deprecation warnings. I need to double
> check
> > that I got them all, maybe I can get to it this weekend.
> >
> > I'm in favor of dropping support for python-2.4, but on the other hand I
> > think the most recent version of RHEL still uses this version.
>
> Actually, we still use 2.4 at work, so I'd like to continue supporting
> 2.4 for a while I guess, for purely selfish reasons.  But perhaps we
> should stop making binaries for it to ease the burden on Charlie.
> Once the 2.6 binaries for numpy are out and we are making binaries for
> the next release, that is....

It looks like I'm not going to have a chance to check this patch on windows
with py24 after all. I have to send my new laptop back to Sony, and won't
have it back for another week or two.

Off topic: Like any self-respecting linux user, one of the first things I
did with my new laptop was wipe the hard disk and perform a system recovery
into a smaller partition, which failed and probably exposed a problem with
the DVD drive. Sony tech support, incredulously: "You performed a system
recovery with a brand new computer?" Me: "That is correct." Sony tech: "Let
me refer this to the next level of support." On the upside, the new Sony SR
series is really nice, the keyboard is phenomenal, and although I couldn't
install kubuntu from CD, I was able to install it from a bootable USB stick,
which is more than can be said for Vista. I think this might be the first
report of Linux running on this model.