On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Christopher Barker
> try wxPython -- it's easy to install and works well.

Thanks - it does seem nicer (doesn't have the mouse over resizing)...

However I have one problem where a figure I create in a function
doesn't show up:
# this is how I create a figure in a function
In [20]: def test_func():
   ....:     f = figure()
   ....:     ax = f.add_subplot(111)
   ....:     ax.plot([1,2,3,4],[1,2,3,4])
   ....:     f.show()
   ....:     return f
   ....:
In [21]: test_func()
Out[21]: <matplotlib.figure.Figure object at 0x2168c8d0>
# shows a blank (grey) canvas with no axes
In [23]: _21.show()
# ^^ does nothing
In [25]: gcf().show()
# ^^ does nothing
In [26]: f2 = figure(1)
# ^^ now it appears?

So what am I doing wrong? How can I programmatically display a figure
(ie without knowing the number in advance to do figure(n)?)

Cheers

Robin