On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Andrew Straw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I appreciate the work you're doing on this, and while I don't have any
> very strong opinions on the API questions you raise, I would request
> that you include in the docstrings information at least at the level of
> the above, listing the scaling issue, the sources you've followed and
> how and why you've chosen to follow them or deviate, and differences
> with the default behavior of other software. I recently helped a
> colleague use Matlab's PSD/pwelch functions and had to spend some time
> sending in sine waves of various frequencies and amplitudes to figure
> out what the results meant. If matplotlib gives different results by
> default, I think it should 1) justify why and 2) indicate what option(s)
> may be set to get results equivalent to other systems, including Matlab.

My preference is to strive for matlab compatability here.  I am pretty
sure it was compatible with matlab in my original tests to several
significant digits, but I no longer have the test code and my memory
is fuzzy because it was over 5 years ago.  But I intended this
function to be matlab compatible, and if it is not I would prefer to
see it compatible even if it means breaking some existing code.  It is
possible that the original code did not scale with sampling frequency
and was compatible, but over time we've made enhancements that broke
compatibility.  Its been a long time since I used and tested against
matlab.

If there is good reason to add support for an alternate scaling, we
can easily support it with kwargs.  But since the signature and
origins of this function were matlab compatibility, I think it is
least confusing if the default output has similar scaling.

JDH