I have raised two issues on imshow with pdf backend weeks ago since the
upgrade from 0.91 to 0.98. I am happy to see one of them already fixed.

However, the following issue is still there. In the following script, I try
to display an image in a pdf. This would run. Now please change the
maize.pdf to maize.png and generate yet another file. Zoom and look closely
at the two files generated. You see that the pdf quality is substantially
lower than the png.

I wonder if anyone would reproduce it and ... any way to solve it.

from matplotlib.pyplot import *
from urllib import urlretrieve

figure(1,(6,6))
root = axes([0,0,1,1])