On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Michael Hearne <mhea...@usgs.gov> wrote:
> I get the following output when trying to install the latest version of
> matplotlib from an egg.  I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.5.

We've had a lot of trouble with our eggs.  I am not sure this is all
our fault, because it looks like some combination of distutils and
setuptools is breaking in the presence of symlinks, which we use.  I'm
modified our installs to work around this problem, and have posted new
eggs at

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=278194&release_id=646644

You have two choices for OS X :

  * matplotlib-0.98.5.1-py2.5-macosx10.5.zip   - a binary mpkg installer
  * matplotlib-0.98.5.1-py2.5-macosx.egg  - an egg with the known
problems fixed.

Please give it another whirl and let me know.

JDH