Scott, the Scatter function works great but i am really looking to use the
contourf one.

Eric, you're right, the way I had it initially it was missing the z value. I
looked at the griddata example and here is the code I came up with:

from numpy.random import uniform, seed
from matplotlib.mlab import griddata
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

r =
mlab.csv2rec('D:/SocalScubaInfo/Data/Outputs/CSV_files/DIRPW_12191800.csv')

x = r.longitude
y = r.latitude
z = r.dirpw_200812191800
xi = r.x
yi = r.y

# grid the data.
zi = griddata(x,y,z,xi,yi)

CS = plt.contourf(xi,yi,zi,15,cmap=plt.cm.jet)
plt.colorbar() # draw colorbar

plt.show()

Which still errors out: 'output grid defined by xi,yi must be monotone
increasing'
The xi and yi are from the first 2 columns of the csv file and I thought
they were monotonically increasing. What am I missing?