This is now fixed in SVN HEAD.

Two changes were made:

a) Be more conservative about when segments are simplified based on
their length

b) Honor the (already existing) path.simplify rcParam in the *Agg backends.

John's suggested patch is also a valid workaround, if you don't want to
track SVN.  path.py lives in

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib

on a Mac.  Simply replace the line where should_simplify is set to
"self.should_simplify = False"

Mike