Dear John & Darren,

Thanks for your reply -- the "panic" I alluded for is simply the
result of three months' strain working day-by-day to develop a very
large application using wxPython/MPL/Basemap under Linux, along with a
RAM crash and, more recently, an upgrade form Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy
Heron) to Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex -- I love the fondness the guys
at Canonical have for zoology).

Well, that said, here are my reply to the questions and comments:

1) I am not using pyplot in an embedded environment. Indeed,
MPL/Basemap is running very well embedded in my wxPython application,
*without* pyplot of course. The reported error appears only when I try
any test script using pyplot (these scripts are useful for testing
ideas in an interpreted language as Python, before putting them to
work in a GUI application). My application uses the wxagg backends,
which are work well.

2) All scripts using pyplot ran quite well under Ubuntu Hardy; they
are just presenting these issues after I upgraded to Intrepid (which,
BTW, looks much more stable in my system than was Hardy -- except for
this problem with MPL)

3) I am running MPL 0.98.5.1, installed with Ubuntu itself. I ran sudo
easy_install matplotlib in an attempt to install version 0.98.5.2, but
this gave no result (easy_Install tells me that I already have the
latest version of MPL)

Well, I have googled the error message: "ImportError: libffi.so.4:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" and it
seems that a few other Python applications are crashing with this
error under Ubuntu Intrepid (but I could not find any solution, just
error reports).

I am not sure if compiling from source would help in this case,
because the error seems to be related to a missing system (?) library
and not to MPL or any of the backends.

So, for the time being, it looks that I cannot use MPL with pyplot
anymore, which is not entirely a huge problem (as I do not use the
library in MATLAB-style anyway) , but prevents me to use it to fast
testing of Basemap scripts.

With best regards,

--
Dr. Mauro J. Cavalcanti