Hello Mauro,
(thanks John to highlight me:) )

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:50, Mauro Cavalcanti <mauro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) I am running MPL 0.98.5.1, installed with Ubuntu itself. I ran sudo
> easy_install matplotlib in an attempt to install version 0.98.5.2, but
> this gave no result (easy_Install tells me that I already have the
> latest version of MPL)

I'm the Debian maint (while working with Ubuntu one) so I suggest to
use the code in our SVN repository to build the package:

<get the mpl tarball, v0.98.5.2 should be fine, name it
matplotlib_0.98.5.2.orig.tar.gz>
<untar it in a dir called matplotlib-0.98.5.2, that will contain the mpl files>
cd matplotlib-0.98.5.2
svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/matplotlib/trunk/debian/
sudo apt-get install build-essential
debuild -us -uc
<install the missing build-dependencies returned from above commands
and reiter if needed>

It's a little bit tedious (and the build will take a while) but in ..
you should find the .deb to install.

If "someone" would release .3, we could package it for Debian systems :) :)

> Well, I have googled the error message: "ImportError: libffi.so.4:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" and it
> seems that a few other Python applications are crashing with this
> error under Ubuntu Intrepid (but I could not find any solution, just
> error reports).

libffi received a SONAME bump to .5 (infact, now the package is called
libffi5), so there might be something still referring the old library,
that probably went removed during upgrade (Ubuntu QA work.....)

> I am not sure if compiling from source would help in this case,
> because the error seems to be related to a missing system (?) library
> and not to MPL or any of the backends.

yes, it would help. because relinking to new lib will fix those broken links.

Let us know any progress.

Regards,