Dear all,

I know this is not related to matplotlib but this seems to be the only place
where I found people that have knowledge of both NOAA data and python so
please bear with me.

The .bull file that NOAA gives for upload is an ascii file formatted for
human readability but it creates a lot of issues when I am trying to parse
it. Here is a link to one of these files:

ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/wave/prod/wave.20090117/bulls.t00z/akw.46001.bull

Do you have any idea on how to extract the data there in columns for
plotting with matplotlib? If you look at the file you'll notice that there
is both a header and a footer for the file that needs to be eliminated and
the main columns have sub columns also. Another issue is that in a column
there is missing data that should keep it's relationship with the time
column. And the last issue, some of the values there are preceded by a "*"
sign that should just be removed too.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Anton