Anton,
You may wanna check on the numpy list as well.
I recently reimplemented a function to read text file as a combination
of numpy.loadtxt and mlab.csv2rec, that handles missing data nicely.
You can get it here for the moment:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pierregm/numpy/numpy_addons
The function you would need is mafromtxt, in fromascii. Alternatively,
you can try using the scikits.timeseries package
(http://pytseries.sourceforge.net/
): recent SVN versions introduced tsfromtxt, that read a text file and
return a timeseries.

However, none of these possibilities will work out-of-the-box, because
of the presence of the footer. What you could do is write a first
function that gets rid of this footer (example of MO: open the file,
read all the lines in a list, get rid of the first 7 rows (header) and
last 8 ones, store the result in a file). Once you have only the data,
use mafromtxt (for example) using space as a delimiter, and specify
the columns you want to use with usecols (that way, you can get rid of
the column with the '*'). The missing data should be taken into
account properly.

Let me know how it goes.
P.