On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jouni K. Seppänen <j...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Bala subramanian <bala.biophys...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Meanwhile i would like to know. Suppose if i install the latest mpl that
> > just downloaded, will it overwrite the mpl version 0.98.1 previously
> > installed with yum ? If not, when i give ipython -pylab, which version
> will
> > be loaded, I mean which version would be my default.

The yum version will be installed into something like
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ and the version you install yourself will
be put (by default) into  /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ (you can
control this with the --prefix option to "python setup.py install").  If the
/use/local version is in your PYTHONPATH before the /usr/lib version, you
will get the newer version.  You can check this by doing

  >>> import matplotlib
  >>> print matplotlib.__version__
  >>> print matplotlib.__file__

JDH