Hi Chris,

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 21:29, Christopher Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> IN old mailing list messages, I see reference to:
>
> mpl.ticker.AutoDateLocator
> mpl.ticker.AutoDateFormatter
>

> Where might I find these now? They don't seem to be in matplotlib.ticker
> or matplotlib.date. do they have a new name? Is there a new way to get
> automatic date tic location and formating?

In [14]: from matplotlib import dates

In [15]: dates.Au
dates.AutoDateFormatter  dates.AutoDateLocator

> note: I'm trying to do this for the x axis of a quiver plot, which
> doesn't seem to support passing in dates directly.

simple snippet (with some additional formatting and stuff you might need):

In [13]: dateFmt = mpl.dates.DateFormatter('%Y-%m-%d')

In [14]: ax2.xaxis.set_major_formatter(dateFmt)

In [15]: daysLoc = mpl.dates.DayLocator()

In [16]: hoursLoc = mpl.dates.HourLocator(interval=6)

In [17]: ax2.xaxis.set_major_locator(daysLoc)

In [18]: ax2.xaxis.set_minor_locator(hoursLoc)

In [19]: fig.autofmt_xdate(bottom=0.18) # adjust for correct date labels display

In [20]: fig.subplots_adjust(left=0.18)

HTH

Cheers,