Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use griddata() to interpolate a function given at
> specified points of a bunch of other points. While the method works
> well, it slows down considerably as the number of points to
> interpolate to increases.
>
> The dependence of time/(number of points) is nonlinear (see the
> attachment) - it seems that while the Delaunay trinagulation itself is
> fast, I wonder how to speed-up the interpolation. The docstring says,
> that it is based on "natural neighbor interpolation" - how are the
> neighbors searched? Does it use the kd-trees like scipy.spatial? I
> have a very good experience with scipy.spatial performance.
>
> Also, is there a way of reusing the triangulation when interpolating
> several times using the same grid?
>
> cheers,
> r.

Robert:  The griddata function uses the delaunay module, which is a
straight copy of Robert Kern's delaunay scikit.  No one here is that
familiar with the internals of delaunay, so I'd suggest you either ask
Robert, or dig into the source code yourself (which is here:
http://scipy.org/scipy/scikits/browser/trunk/delaunay).

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449