This turned out to be a bug introduced recently, which is now fixed in
the 0.99 maintenance branch.
The fix is not merged into the head yet. I tried svnmerge.py but it
gave some merge conflict. While the conflict seems rather trivial,
I'll leave it to others.

Meanwhile, you can explicitly give artists and labels to create the legend.

s1 = scatter(..)
s2 = scatter(..)

legend([s1, s2], ["aaaa", "cccc"])

-JJ