On 10/11/2009, at 3:37 AM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Tim Burgess wrote:
>> So....decided to go down the MacPorts path. Many automated
>> downloads later, I now have a successful Basemap install (yay!)
>> Many thanks to the folks who have contributed to MacPorts and
>> interestingly geos 3.1.1 is installed.
>
> Is it 64 bit now. If so...
>

>> Only present worry is that wxWidgets port is not building on 10.6 -
>> yet to resolve that.
>
> wxWidgets/wxPython can not be built (for the Mac) 64 bit. It is
> built on Carbon, which Apple has not and will not port to 64 bit.
> There is a Cocoa version of wxMac, but it's not done yet, and has
> not been wrapped for Python.
>
> You may be able to get a 64bit GTK/X11 wxPython working with
> MacPorts -- I've never tried that.
>

>> And FYI, to check whether you have a 64bit Python install:
>> 9223372036854775807
>
> So it looks like you are running 64 bit -- what a pain this all is.
>
> -Chris

Yes, I'm running all 64bit now. Can't say I'm seeing dramatic
performance improvements as I haven't done much in basemap in 32bit to
compare.

I did find a couple of problems with the current MacPort basemap. I
could create a Basemap object with a resolution of 'c' but specifying
a resolution of 'i' caused a program failure.
And the example 'warpimage.py' failed to run as well.

The error wasn't obvious to my eye so I simply did an svn checkout and
built the code into an .egg and then did an /opt/local/bin/
easy_install-2.6 basemap-0.99.5-py2.6-macosx-10.6-i386.egg

I can now use the higher resolution option and warpimage.py all runs
fine.

As for wxWidgets, there is some pain there. Pierre GM (thanks!) made
the suggestion of simply using the MacOSX matplotlib backend and so
problem neatly side-stepped (for me at least).

Tim Burgess

Software Engineer - Coral Reef Watch
Satellite Applications and Research - NESDIS
http://www.coralreefwatch.noaa.gov
675 Ross River Rd, Kirwan QLD Australia 4817
tim.burg...@noaa.gov
Ph  +61-7-47551811
Fax +61-7-47551822